понедельник, 28 октября 2013 г.

Paris... all it’s cracked up to be?


          My knowledge of Paris was pretty much based on books we had studied in French classes which I had attended my whole life and now am frantically trying to string sentences together; Jean Paul Sartre novels and Woody Allen movies. I wasn't sure that it’d live up to the expectations because when you say “Paris”, the implications and the sentiments that are attached to the word are huge.

            Somehow, these past couple of years I've had the idea that Paris is grey, gritty and overrated and I didn't see myself going to Paris any time soon, it wasn't in the plans... but a series of events from a bad experience, to an inspiring person, to a funny coincidence, lead me to believe that Paris was where I had to go... and here I am. 

View from Sacre Ceour on Montmartre and Paris.
            How do I feel now?

            Well, I was sceptical but I went out and I started walking along the streets starting in the area of Montparnasse. By the time I had reached the Seine my feelings had changed. There is definitely something about Paris. It’s not something I can explain or put in words really – it’s in the air. It’s like wading through a dream-like state. I look at things and try to take them in but it’s not enough, I could keep looking at them forever....and when catching a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, I was sold. Never-mind it being a piece of metal, it is such a symbol and it has this ability to stir up emotion, which is really the whole point of art...


Look, la Tour Eiffel in the distance, that was the first time I caught sight of it! :)
            I am not sure whether it’s mind over matter and Paris is so amazing because I know it’s supposed to be, or it’s all those Woody Allen movies... and the history, all those artists moving here, to find inspiration, to create their works... to write in these little cute Brasseries that are on every corner (I've got one 20 meters away from my door)... makes me want to take a pen, a paper, order an espresso and just write endlessly and or everything – paper, napkins, cheques... :D But I do, actually, really like Paris. It’s beautiful and it has a unique feel!


            What has been most memorable? Well, lets start with the fact that on my very first day I met an amazing little lady whose name is almost as sweet as she is – Miss Pin Up Candy, all the way from Poland. As soon as we met, we hit it off. We had red wine and deep conversations about Burlesque, performing, art, love of our art and the hardships that come with it. It was just amazing to find such a kindred spirit and that comes compact in such a lovely form! And after our wine, as we emerged from the cafe, we bumped right into a jazz band and put on a little impromptu show, dancing around and just having a fantastic time. Oh how I love such spontaneity and people who go along with it and get lost in the moment with me!
Wine with Pin Up Candy.
Undine LaVerve with Pin Up Candy.

My weekend in Paris was all about Burlesque!! 

            PARIS BURLESQUE FESTIVAL – the New World. See, last year they celebrated the End of the World and Death in a Burlesque fashion but since the world 
didn't end... to celebrate the fact that we are still alive and running about our daily routines, the theme this year was The New World... what would it have been like if the world did end and we had to start anew, or what would the world be like post apocalypse and many other interpretation of the idea all brought 3 amazing revues: 


“Welcome To The New World” – all star Revue and two awesome parties “Nuit Clandestain” and “Nuit Fatale”! First – classical performers took on the stage and owned every single centimetre of it with such energy and passion... amongst them the previously mentioned Pin Up Candy, and also Xarah von den Vielenregen from Germany and Fay Loren from Holland (whose portrait was painter by Erik Verkoyen, who is also painting Undine LaVerve), as well as a Japanese troupe – the Murasaki Babydoll, who Completely and Utterly Blew Everyone Away, amongst other amazing performers. The second night was a rock and nu-burlesque night it was on fire, from the amazing performers who set the stage alight like Frankie Valentine, to Rikkha – Juliette Dragon’s Punk band along with her Filles de Joie. I danced, I had a lovely time, I met a lot of amazing people (shout out to lovely lady Elvira), I was immersed in Burlesque! 


Paris Burlesque Festival.
My look for the nights of Paris Burlesque Festival. 

            Most days I've spent running around and seeing Paris, sightseeing and walking around are my favourite things to do on holiday. Had a lovely tour by Tchuisi, thank you lady for showing me around! And saw a lot of Paris on my own. So I've covered all the main monuments and places of interested and walked all over the place, I really have no mercy for my feet! So it’s only a holiday when it comes to the mind, my body is working(walking) overtime! :P 

Walking around Paris.


              I saw Paris from the two high points – the beauty of the city from the Tour Eiffel, which was fantastic and a more stormy view of the Parisian lights from Montmartre later that night! Paris really is wonderful and awe inspiring and the history is very interesting; today listening to the tour guide at the Tour Eiffel and the stories he told us about the city, I fell a little more for Paris! 

View from the Eiffel Tower! :)

Monday night, once again I had met the sweet Pin Up Candy, without fear of Sugar Overdose - being in the presence of her sweetness is rather healthy, I’d say and was sorry to say goodbye to this newly acquired friend so soon, but only to meet again!! And après, I met up with la lovely Frou Frou d'Absinthe! I've had a great time chatting with this petite lady who is elegance itself! She is sweet and has these huge, expressive eyes, such a pretty doll and such a lovely person! We hung out at the Bar Manufacture where I performed on Wednesday along with Lou OntheRocks, Athena 'Ttention, Stelle de Perle and Minnie Valentine - all this burlesque loveliness in form of beautiful, rhinestone clad ladies! J


Minnie, Stelle, Lou, Elvira, moi et Frou Frou! :)
Photo by Herve Photograff.

The Pretty Propaganda show on Wednesday was a riot!! The performance space is not huge in the Manufacture but when it fills up, and it does so to the brim, the energy in that place is undeniable, it’s igniting and it makes a performer want to light up the stage. And we did so, one by one. Minnie Valentine sang in a beautiful gown and thrilled the public; Stelle de Perle had a performance with an unexpected twist; Athena 'Ttention stole my heart with the cutest Betty Boop tribute and humour, irony that made me squeal with delight! I went on before last and I honestly don’t remember what I did... I was so excited and lost in the moment, I only remember shimmying. One moment I’m being called on stage, next moment I am almost bare in front of the cheering crowd... AWESOME! And finally, the star of the night – the Wild lady Lou OntheRocks took the audience on a journey, from a Betty Page tribute, to a Tiki, feather clad Paradise, she was a queen on the stage and finished off with a bang of golden confetti! <3

The cast of "Pretty Propaganda - Pin me Up, Tie me Down"!
Photo by: Herve Photograff.


"Lavander Dream"!
Photo by: Herve Photograff.
Playing with the audience!
Photo by: Herve Photograff.

Lou OntheRocks.
Photo by: Herve Photograff.



"I want YOU!" :P
Photo by: Herve Photograff.























Paris has been all about Burlesque for me and will remain so. 



The next few days I walked around some more... My last night was a Maltese night with Frou Frou d'Absintheand Athena 'Ttention! We had dinner, then went to Bonnie and Clyde and had amazing Mai Tai cocktails there, along with shots of Maltese Prickly pear Liquor and Maltese Honey Rings! Everyone loved Maltese treats, especially Frou Frou having a personal connection to the Maltese islands! :) My last night as a blast!
Sweet Maltese treats for lovely French girls! :)


Is Paris all it’s cracked up to be?

Well, to each their own of course, and I can’t say that it’s the most amazing city on the whole planet, but it is such a pleasant place and it has so much charm... slowly but surely I felt I was descending into the Parisian lifestyle, it’s culture, it’s self. The only thing I find Paris lacks in the alternative people, the freaks. That’s something that Amsterdam is full of and it’s something I love! Still, it was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed  every minute of Paris and with every minute I fell a little farther and harder for the city!!
Paris! <3






















XxxX

          ULV.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий